The days are growing shorter, but definitely not cooler! Heat wave after heat wave, I am definitely less in the kitchen and more in the lake & pool.
Over the course of the season, I have picked strawberries, blueberries, and now apples and blackberries. Living in the country has so many benefits. The wild blackberries are so big and our apple trees all plentiful. And I’m always thankful for Kyles parents blueberry fields. I could sit there for hours picking and eating!
Today, despite the extreme heat, I had to turn the oven on. And the AC. I took a cup of each berry and 2.5 cups of chopped apples. Do I know what kind of apples? Not a clue. But they’re amazing to bake with. Maybe someday I’ll find out what kind they are. Anyways, I made a delightful, oh so easy to make and devour dessert that just tastes like all the flavours of summer.
Hope you enjoy!
Made the recipe? Send a pic or tag on Instagram @bairdsbaking. Find more delicious recipes over there as well!
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Bake time: 35 minutes
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- 2.5 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup roughly chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375°C and grease and 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking oil.
- Place berries and chopped apples into greased baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until crumbly.
- Sprinkle an even layer of the crumb mixture over top of berries, making sure to cover completely.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top begins to brown and juices start to bubble up.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.