Ever get a stock pile of bananas in your freezer? But tired of the same ol banana loaf? Do you love chocolate? If you said yes to any of the above, you’re sure to enjoy this.
Okay enough sounding like a cheesy advertisement, but seriously it’s pretty darn good and not crazy sweet. It went pretty fast when my nephews came to visit!
For some reason I cannot eat bananas like every other person I know. They have to be cooked. Anyone else have a banana intolerance?
When I really want something that has bananas in it I end up baking muffins or a loaf. Today I mixed it up and took 2/3 of a cup of the batter and added cocoa powder, vanilla and almonds into it, layering that in the middle.
Also the recipe calls for yogurt, but a lot of times I’ve subbed it with sour cream. If you don’t have almonds, walnuts would be good too. I had Casey decide which one we put in!
If you make a beautiful loaf feel free to send a pic of it or tag me on Instagram!@bairdsbaking
Chocolate Almond Banana Loaf
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Bake time: 45 minutes
- Yields: 1 loaf, about 10 slices
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1/3 Cup yogurt/sour cream
- 2 Cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons sliced almonds, plus some for top of loaf.
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease loaf pan well with oil. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in a small bowl, set aside.
- With an electric mixer, blend butter and sugars in a medium bowl on med-high speed until well combined. About 3 minutes.
- Add in bananas, yogurt and egg. Beat on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Add in flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix with wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Pour 1/3 of batter into pan.
- Take 2/3 cup of batter and place in small bowl.
- Add in cocoa powder, vanilla and almonds. Mix with spoon just until combined.
- Layer chocolate mixture in pan.
- Top with remaining batter and spread out with spatula carefully covering all of the chocolate layer and spreading to edges.
- Sprinkle top with almonds.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack for 1 hour before slicing.