Easy, unbelievably delicious, the flavours… you’ll just want to eat one after another! This recipe is egg free and easily made vegan if you use a plant based butter and Nutiva. It makes about 20 cookies (10 sandwiched), and the recipe is easily doubled if you want to serve them at a party or give them out as gifts. A quick bake with only ten minutes in the oven, these are sure to enhance your coffee break.
If you have made these and would like to share your creations feel free to send a pic or tag on Instagram @bairdsbaking . Find more recipes and short videos over there as well!
Chocolate Hazelnut Chai Whoopie Pies
- Prep time: 15
- Bake time: 10
- Yields: 10 Whoopie Pies or 20 cookies
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup butter (salted) or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon chai spice blend (cardamom, fennel & cinnamon)
- 1/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl cream sugar, molasses and butter with an electric mixer until fluffy – about 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda & chai spice.
- With a rubber spatula fold flour mixture into sugar mixture and mix until flour is completely incorporated.
- Use a half tablespoon to scoop out round bits of dough and roll into balls.
- Place on baking sheet 2” apart and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely. About 10 minutes.
- Spread about a teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut spread onto half the cookies and take another cookie to sandwich it.