When asked if I could make a gluten free lemon pound cake for an order, I said yes even though hadn’t made one at that point. I don’t know why I hadn’t as it’s extremely easy and beyond amazing. I had to do a little research and figure out a method and hope that it worked. I’ve made numerous lemon loaves, and blueberry lemon loaves in the past, so I assumed the pound cake would be somewhat similar. Zesting the lemons is always the most time consuming part next to the 1 hour in the oven, but hey, if you want something amazing you put in the effort. The amount of zest gives the best flavour. The fluffy lemon buttercream on top gives it even more bursts of a summers dream in the midst of the coldest month.
Lemon Pound Cake (GF/DF)
- Prep time: 25 minutes
- Bake time: 1 hour
- Yields: One 9x5x3 cake
- Zest of 3 lemons (2 if they’re large)
- 200g sugar
- 170g vegan butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 245g gluten-free flour
- 60g almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a loaf pan (Mine is 9x5x3 approx).
- Zest lemons (arm workout) over a medium bowl.
- Add in sugar and butter, and blend with an electric mixer.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time until fluffy.
- Add in vanilla. The mixture may look a bit curdled but trust me it’ll come together!
- In a separate bowl, mix gf flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in a third of the flour mixture into the egg mixture, followed by a bit of the lemon juice, repeating until both are all incorporated.
- Spread batter into pan, and bake for 50 minutes to one hour. Test at the 50 minute mark with cake tester or inserting a toothpick.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before taking out of pan, continue to cool on wire rack.
- Once cooled, frost with lemon buttercream, adding a bit of zest for the finishing touch.
Lemon Buttercream (DF)
- 125g vegan butter
- 75g shortening
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 300g icing sugar
- Mix butter and shortening in a medium bowl on medium to high speed until blended.
- Add in lemon juice and mix again.
- On low speed, add half the icing sugar and mix until incorporated. Add remaining and mix until fluffy frosting is formed.