August means blueberry season around here, which in my mind means cakes, muffins, pancakes and maybe wine?? Seriously try Nova Scotia blueberry wine sometime, you won’t be let down. Getting back on track, this cake is simple to throw together, minimal ingredients, and has deliciously fluffy, moist results! A bit of a longer baking time, about 40-45 minutes, but all good things take time right? Especially if you’ve hand picked the berries, which in this case, I have. Whoever you share this with will be left smiling and satisfied.
Once again, make sure your eggs and dairy ingredients are room temperature before starting. If I ever forget to take eggs out beforehand I pop them in a dish with warm water for a few minutes.
Don’t forget to properly grease and flour the cake pan beforehand! If you use a bundt pan like I have, you want it to come out as clean as possible, for that picture perfect look. A regular 8” cake pan will also do the trick.
If you have made these and would like to share your creations feel free to send a pic or tag on Instagram @bairdsbaking . Find more recipes and short videos over there as well!
Blueberry Lemon Cake with Lemon Glaze
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Bake time: 40 minutes
- Yields: 1 Bundt cake
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 1 heaping cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 tablespoon flour (for coating berries)
- Preheat over to 375, grease and flour a Bundt cake pan, set aside.
- In a large bowl, with and electric mixer combine eggs, butter, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir sour cream into lemon mixture and fold flour mixture into batter.
- Toss berries with a bit of flour in a small bowl, and gently fold into batter. It will be thick.
- Evenly spread into prepared pan, and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes before running a rubber spatula around edge and flipping onto plate.
- Once cool to the touch glaze and dust with powdered sugar if desired. Add more blueberries for a decorative touch!
In a small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon lemon juice with 3-4 tablespoons of powdered sugar, adding more if necessary, until desired thickness is reached. Drip over cooled cake.