I wanted to make a carrot cake, but I have been out of eggs since the hens aren’t laying as much! I took to the vegan chocolate cake recipe I have and based this recipe off of it. It’s quite easy & quick to throw together, without any crazy ingredients and about a 30 minute bake time. If you’re not on a vegan diet, I definitely recommend topping with cream cheese frosting. Otherwise I suggest dusting with icing sugar for a simple but pretty finishing touch.
I make mine in an 8×8 in nonstick pan like this one, so just a little greasing with some oil should do the trick.
It’s definitely a moist, have with a cup of coffee/tea, kind of cake. Perfect for after dinner. So make it tonight!
If you have made these and would like to share your creations feel free to send a pic or tag on Instagram @bairdsbaking . Find more recipes and short videos over there as well!
Vegan Carrot Cake
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Bake time: 30 minutes
- Yields: about 9 servings
- 1 2/3 cup (230g) flour
- 1 cup (205g) sugar
- 1 cup (130g) shredded carrots – about 2 medium
- 1/2 cup (50g) raisins
- 1/2 cup (40g) shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (75 mLs) oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mLs) almond milk or water
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil an 8 x 8“ square pan.
- Shred carrots and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Add in carrots, raisins and coconut.
- In a very small bowl, stir together oil, vanilla and vinegar until well combined.
- Add oil mixture and milk to large bowl, and stir quickly.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before removing from pan.
- Frost if desired.