My favourite thing about baking, besides the eating part, is how it is always like a science experiment and when you try new things you never know exactly how it’s going to turn out. Today I was aiming for making some kind of cookie. However, after doing a test cookie in the oven, I decided they were more along the lines of a blondie than a cookie! Once it was baked, cooled, and ready to eat, I thought hold on, this definitely needs frosting. And because it’s spiced I had to do a cream cheese frosting; they just go hand-in-hand.
It’s a pretty easy recipe, as most of my recipes go. But please make sure that your butter, eggs and cream cheese are all at room temperature before you get into things!
Chocolate Chip Spiced Blondies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Bake time: 15-20 minutes
- Yields: 16 squares
- 1/2 cup butter (112g)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (106g)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour (150g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup chocolate chips (170g)
- 1/3 cup cream cheese (75g)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups icing sugar (230g)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375, and Greece and 8 x 8 baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until well combined.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and cream until light and fluffy, almost 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. If you do not have one of the spices, you can omit it, it shouldn’t make a huge difference in the taste.
- Fold dry ingredients into the wet, mixing just until combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool five minutes in pan before removing it.
- Once completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, cream together your cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add in icing sugar and cinnamon.
- Mix on low, until icing sugar is blended in, then mix on medium high speed until fluffy.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.