So as typical Nova Scotian weather goes, we get a fools Spring and then what seems like a second Winter. Today, we are getting that second round of winter with about 25 cm of the lovely white stuff. I had made a big dish of mac ‘n cheese casserole last night and just for kicks I made a reel on Instagram when I was dishing it up. I thought the reel itself was a bit cheesy (sorry I love puns), but when I posted it this afternoon I all of a sudden got a notification that it had over 500 views in a half hour. I figured I might as well post the recipe!
Shout out to my Mom for this one. My sister and I grew up loving this delicious gooey goodness. Over the years I’ve added this and that to mix things up, but one thing is for sure, never forget the mustard and Worcestershire. Are you trying to pronounce it right now? Me too.
It’s pretty easy to follow for those that are newbies in the kitchen. I have been making this for like, ever. I promise you can have delicious gooey goodness too!
Easy Peasy Mac ‘n Cheesy
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Bake time: 15 minutes
- Total: 35 minutes
- Serves: 4-5
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced (depending on how much you love garlic)
- 1/3 cup flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups of milk (2% or whole is best)
- 2-3 cups of shredded cheese. I like marble and parmesan but whatever you have on hand will do.
- 2 teaspoons mustard (yellow or Dijon)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of panko bread crumbs (crushed crackers will do the trick)
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil, and cook macaroni al dente. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Using a whisk (or fork), add in flour and cook briefly, about 1 minute.
- Add in milk and whisk on medium-low heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Make sure the flour gets mixed in well, this is why a whisk works best.
- Once thickened, remove from heat.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in 2 cups of shredded cheese (save some for the top!).
- Stir in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place cooked macaroni and sauce in an 8X8 baking dish.
- Top with remaining cheese, sprinkle bread crumbs and pepper.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, then turning broil to high, broil for 3-5 minutes or until top is golden brown. Keep an eye on it as it can quickly burn!
- Dig in!