Typical Nova Scotian weather; beautiful one minute and then as soon as you think “lets go outside and play in the snow!”, mother nature decides to throw all of the precipitation at you at once. So since the snow/rain/freezing rain etc. ruined our plans to burn off the energy of my two year old we took to the kitchen to make some peanut butter cookies.
I let Casey do a lot of the steps for this recipe, so as messy and sticky as it was, it was a lot of fun. It took a little longer to make them too, we had to take a couple breaks so I could feed the baby. But nowadays, I expect to be interrupted about a dozen times or more while trying to do almost anything!
The oats and chocolate chips are definitely optional in this recipe. If you do not have them on hand, first of all why not, and second, they’ll still turn out great without them. I just like to have all of the good things in my cookies.
To start preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Beat 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter or margarine, until well combined. Add 1/2 cup peanut butter (We like the crunchy kind!), and 1 egg with electric mixer until light and fluffy. This usually takes 3-5 minutes. Be patient!
Add in 1 1/4 cup flour (measure that flour properly!), 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Mix with spoon or rubber spatula.
Now after I mixed the dry ingredients in, I found it a bit stickier than I would prefer. So I added in 1/2 cup of oats so that forming balls would be easier. When things are less sticky with kids it’s a bonus. I like the oats for an extra little something too.
Roll dough into rounded tablespoonfuls and place on your cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
Next, this is Casey’s favorite step, take a fork and dip in a small bowl of sugar. Flatten each ball with fork in a crisscross pattern. Then your cookies are ready for the oven!
If you have dough still waiting to go in the oven, place the bowl in the fridge until ready.
Bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms are light brown.
Crunchy, Chewy, Peanut Butter Cookies
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Bake Time: 10 minutes
- Yields: 2 dozen
- 1/2 Cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 Cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1 1/4 Cups flour
- 1/2 Cup quick oats (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Granulated sugar for tops of cookies
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F, line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl mix peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and egg with an electric mixer, about 3-5 minutes until fluffy.
- Add in flour, oats, baking soda and baking powder, folding gently.
- Add in chocolate chips (optional but highly recommended)
- Drop dough onto baking sheet in rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.
- Flatten with fork dipped in granulated sugar making a crisscross pattern.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until bottoms are light brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!